Monday, May 20, 2013

Five Qs for Our Friends

You may remember that we recently hosted four of our friends in China. They had begun their whirlwind tour in Beijing and ended it in our temporary hometown of Shanghai. I thought it’d be interesting to get their impressions of the trip and ask them the same questions I had asked my mom. Here are answers from Kira and David, one the most fabulous couples I know, who took the long journey to come out and visit us. 
What was your favorite experience? 
D. Too many to count. I would have to say my favorite in Beijing was the Wall, with the hole-in-the-wall dumplings a close second. My Shanghai favorite was the Bund at night, and the whole shopping experience. Besides the custom clothing [at the fabric market], I really liked the haggling and the secret compartments at the fake market. And I don't even wear a watch or carry a purse. 
K. Being outside of the comforts of the US of A and experiencing different cultures, architecture, food, smells, sights and sounds. Every photo I've ever seen of the Wall doesn't do it justice, so that was a pretty incredible experience. And the food was amazing too -- much to my surprise. [And she’s a vegetarian!] 

What was the best meal? 
D. All of them? Surprisingly, I think the lunch in Beijing was my favorite. That eggplant was off the charts. Then again, the late night (10 p.m.) pizza was really good, especially the phantom slice the next morning. [No comment.] 
K. I loved Spicy Moment and Lost Heaven. Although, I have been obsessing over those black sesame balls ever since I had them for the first time. [It’s true. Those things deserve their own Fatty Tuesday post. Coming soon!] 

What did you find most surprising? 
D. How good the food was. But I was thinking about that today, that if we took people to 10 meals in five days in SF, everything would seem amazing. But still, the food. I put on five pounds easy.
K. Doesn't that go without saying??? The potty training, of course! [I think she’s referring to this.] 

What did you find most challenging? 
D. Breathing and getting used to the time difference. My internal clock is all screwed up still. 
K. We had it pretty good, I must say. Although language was not an issue for us for the most part [thank you, husband!], it is frustrating to not understand a word that is being uttered around you or be able to read a single thing on the menu [Amen!]. I don't think I could ever master the Chinese language but definitely want to learn to speak a second language. 

What did you miss most from home? 
D. The outdoors. Even though we were outside a bunch, you don’t see people running or riding, or park chilling on the grass. I took a walk and a bike ride today just to breathe in the fresh air, and I didn't feel like that was a good idea in China. 
K. I don't think we were gone long enough to legitimately miss anything but I was thrilled to have a burrito for my first stateside meal. [Oh man, what I would do for an authentic burrito right about now.] 

Come back, friends! xo

No comments:

Post a Comment