Tuesday, September 17, 2013

So I almost got deported...

Not really. But kind of.


Thanks to a series of unfortunate events, bad luck and terrible timing, I was almost forced to leave the country. New laws have taken effect and there are now some very serious consequences to overstaying your visa or not having one at all, including jail time and fines of up to RMB10,000 (almost $1,700). I don't know about you, but I want to stay as far away as possible from Chinese jail time.

It was a combination of these new laws, not having a copy of our marriage license (let this serve as a reminder to all couples moving to China together), and office closings due to the upcoming holidays (Mid-Autumn Day, which is this weekend, and National Day, which is the first week of October).

We had planned on going to Cambodia this long weekend, Siem Reap to be specific, to visit Angkor Wat, the largest religious monument in the world, one of the new wonders of the world, and, according to this source, one of the 50 most beautiful places in the world. Plane tickets had been purchased and a hotel package deal here had been booked.

But it was either go and get stuck in the Shanghai airport à la Snowden then purchase a $1500 ticket to my home country, or postpone the trip. Cambodia will still be there, right? I ask as I pout...  

1 comment: