Wednesday, September 4, 2013

This is China

There are some moments that hit you over the head in a reminder that China, though currently riding a wave of power and success, is still very much a developing country. Remember the most dangerous job in the world? Well, this morning my concern for these guys proved valid. En route to a bookstore, I saw a crowd of people gathered at the bottom of a tall building. A window washer had fallen and was laying on the ground.
The scene was upsetting, with just too many people standing around doing nothing (myself included, I suppose). But what upset me the most was the fact that these men had been working in terribly unsafe conditions. To me, it showed a complete disregard for human life.

The end of the story: the victim was carried by his two buddies into a cab. Because cabs are faster than ambulances in getting to the nearest hospital.


No comments:

Post a Comment