Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Some of my Favorite Things

I was very spoiled this Christmas and received some awesome gifts, several of which came from some of my Shanghai favorites.

The small/medium/large cubes are vases from Spin, a ceramics store located in an adjacent neighborhood whose creations are marvelously simple with a playful undertone (like: an arrangement of bowls that resemble a lotus flower; a series of tall, narrow vases that look as if they've just escaped from Alice's Wonderland; a pen holder that could be mistaken for a block of tofu). Every time I set foot in the store, I find something else to add to my wish list.

The soup dumplings t-shirt is Pinyin Press'. She's a graphic designer whose side project is creating cards, pillows, tote bags and t-shirts with words and images linked to everyday expat life here in China. There's the "C is for chuzuche" card ("chuzuche" is "taxi" in pinyin, a phonetic version of Chinese) and the "Z is for zixingche"("bicycle") tote. Cute idea, no?

Then there are my glittens from Muji. Have you heard of Muji? I discovered it a number of years ago while living in London and have sought it out ever since. It's a Japanese chain of retail stores chalk full of items that are super clean and simple, functional and innovative. I love it, and am thankful there's one that recently opened in SF for when I return to the States.

And private yoga classes at Yoga Garden, what has become my sanctuary in this crazy city of mine.

I guess I was on the good list last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment