Thursday, February 13, 2014

Japan Part III: Tokyo

We spent most of our time in Tokyo eating (as covered) and shopping (as planned).

I didn't buy any clothes, but it wasn't for lack of trying; I just wasn't interested in buying from an American designer or from a store that's found elsewhere in the world. A hard feat in today's globalized society. 

After passing by the H&Ms and the Zaras, and usually on the top floors of ginormous shopping malls, we found shops with all kinds of Japanese curiosities. These were my favorite. I could have spent hours browsing shelves filled with stationary and crafts, innovative trinkets and clever little products. All of a sudden, you find yourself in need of an old-fashioned fountain pen and inkwell, a leather-bound diary, and erasers the shape of sushi.

Here's what we did score:
From left to right:
  • A "sold only in Japan" Casio g-shock mini, a fun, casual watch to wear around town 
  • A traditional, hand-forged Japanese knife purchased at the Tsukiji Fish Market (with my new initials engraved, I might add!) 
  • A canvas pen holder for my late dad's collection
...all resting on a blue-and-white-striped sushi platter.   

I loved all that Tokyo had to offer and quickly realized that if I were to live there, I'd probably have to be put on a budget (and a diet, for that matter).  

No comments:

Post a Comment