Friday, February 28, 2014

Zhoumo kuaile!

Koh Samui reminded me of Bali, but with better beaches. Both islands are consumed by tourism, with one resort located just a few feet from the next, a profusion of stands selling cheap souvenirs, and mediocre restaurants trying to capitalize on hungry foreigners. While Bali may be more geared toward the honeymooners, Koh Samui seems to cater to the partygoers (ever heard of Thailand's full moon party?). And it has an overabundance of gyms (an outlet for those famous Thai boxers?) and hair salons (a front for another kind of service provider?).

What makes me sad, however, isn't the crowds or locals trying to make a buck, it's the trash on the side of the road, on the beaches, and in the water. On my last morning in Thailand, I decided to take a quick dip in the ocean before heading to the airport. I ended up swimming next to a floating flip-flop and a large piece of styrofoam.

But Koh Samui and Bali have the kind of natural beauty I hadn't ever seen before and I certainly don't regret my experiences there. I just think it might be time I start volunteering for the Surfrider Foundation.      

And so as I try my mightiest to hold on to my tan in rainy Shanghai this weekend, I wish you all a good one!

1 comment:

  1. It's raining here in Cali too! Glad you had fun. Sad to hear about the trash, especially in the ocean.

    ReplyDelete