Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Fatty Tuesday: Homies

I mentioned last week that I'd begin recounting our food adventures every Tuesday -- either ones at home in our Shanghainese kitchen, or at one of the hundreds of restaurant options located outside our doorstep. 

One of the things I love about this city is that new restaurants pop up all the time. In my one week back from the States, Mike and I tried two places that opened for business while I was gone -- one of which was Homies, located right around the corner from us.  

I had walked by the place one day and hadn't seen much, just a sliding door with the word "Homies" in a cowboy/western font. After a quick Google search, Mike and I found out that the restaurant was owned and operated by a professional skateboarder and his girlfriend serving American-style breakfast at reasonable prices.  


With a friend in town who had had his share of Chinese food prior to staying with us (he was in Beijing on business), we walked over to Homies last Saturday morning. The place is tiny, and seats 15 or so on tables and seats that looked like they had been found at the antique market (in a good way). Upon our arrival, the owner seemed a bit frazzled, running from the dining room to the kitchen, apparently missing a few key staff members. They showed shortly after we did, and things seemed to go smoothly thereafter. 


The menu is small -- eggs, pancakes, waffles, french toast, and a breakfast burrito -- but I like that (makes the decision-making process easier). And food is served on orange trays -- a fun touch. Mike got the sampler (eggs, sausages, and french toast), I got a banana walnut waffle, and our friend got the burrito (much smaller in size than its American counterpart, but good nonetheless, I was told). It was a great taste of home, and I for one really enjoyed my waffle (not too heavy, with an obvious taste of banana, an often miss for banana nut waffles these days). 

It'll be interesting to go back after they've worked out their kinks, and we'll see how long they can sustain breakfast service at a low cost (we read that their current prices are temporary; they'll likely go up when the restaurant settles into a groove). I wouldn't mind having that $5 banana walnut waffle again...

No comments:

Post a Comment