Friday, November 15, 2013

Zhoumo kuaile!

Here's what I have for your China news round-up this week:

  • A follow-up to Singles' Day. Mike and I had pondered the connection between celebrating singlehood and spending tons of money so this quote was my favorite, "In a country where males outnumber females by about 34 million, there are plenty of lonely hearts to go around. And they love to shop online." Read more.

  • Another court case based on looks. "Chinese man’s 'hideous' face causes woman to fall and break four teeth;" she pressed charges and won. Yes, really! Read more.  

  • What's getting censored on Chinese Twitter. What I found most interesting were the ways in which users tried circumventing the social platform's censoring filters (using "eye field" to address "liberty," the two terms use similar characters; and using "big yellow duck" for the tanks at Tiananmen Square) -- only to get censored by the human filters employed by the company. As both a language dork and a communications nerd, I found this article fascinating.

  • An ad campaign I can stand behind. Save the Shimas! 

No comments:

Post a Comment