Tuesday, August 14, 2012

An Impromptu Monday Evening

One of the nice things about living in Shanghai is the fact that you can get almost anything done at almost any time of day. After dining at a neighboring Hunan restaurant (spicy and delicious; a great local find), we ventured to a hair salon down the street. Mike needed a quick cut before his business trip. It was about 8:30 p.m. on a Monday night, and the place was packed. 
Don't you love the décor?

Because dinner and a haircut can take a lot out of a person, we decided, on a whim, to get another foot massage -- at about 9:30 p.m. We've actually been trying out different spas with the goal in mind to eventually buy a membership at one of them, allowing for even cheaper massages. It's been a tough research job, but someone has had to take it on, and we gladly obliged. This was our third foot massage and although it was fantastic (I may have fallen asleep for a minute or two), I think we're leaning toward the first spot we had tried. The second massage was more than decent, but freaked me out a bit. The male masseuse working on my feet spent a good portion of the time telling Mike that he could sense that my intestines were blocked (TMI?) and that I needed to eat more fruits and vegetables. Lovely. When he got to my right foot, which, come to find out, is somehow connected to the kidney and the liver, he said he could tell that I had been eating spicy foods and drinking alcohol. What else were the bottom of my feet telling him? I'm not sure I needed them to tell him any more. And hence why we're going with the first spa, where the massage therapists went at our feet without saying a word.    

1 comment: