Monday, August 13, 2012

Bikes and Beijing on Friday

This past weekend we took the bikes out as planned and went out for a long ride to the river and back, with a stop for lunch in between. Biking is such a fun way to see this city and you can find hidden gems more easily than on two feet or by car. In fact, our lunch spot was on this cute, little street, lined with planters and hanging flowers, at a cafĂ© bar run by some young French folks serving pizza and beer. 

The exciting news is that I'll be joining Mike in Beijing at the end of this week. He leaves tomorrow, and I'll take the high-speed train there on Friday. I had mentioned I was ready to get out of Shanghai a bit and see something new so the trip comes at a good time. We're planning a full day of sightseeing on Saturday: the Great Wall, Tiananmen Square and the Forbidden City. Although I'm slightly apprehensive about going solo -- buying a train ticket, finding my train, and then finding Mike once I'm in Beijing -- I'm looking forward to my first Chinese travel adventure. Have you ever been to Beijing? Any recommendations? 

P.S. It's official. My bike is cooler than Mike's. Thank you to the two who voted.  :)  

No comments:

Post a Comment