Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Beijing Impressions

Upon arrival, Beijing certainly seemed more "China" to me than Shanghai. Shanghai is skyscraper after skyscraper; one big, modern rectangle after another. Beijing still has Chinese pagodas and some semblance of the Old World. However, some of the challenges I experienced living in Shanghai seemed heightened in Beijing: the spitting is more frequent; the subway trains, more packed. The streets are dirtier; the cab drivers, ruder; the stares, even harder. Would I go back? Absolutely, there's more to experience! Would I live there? Let's just say I'm happy we were sent to Shanghai instead.  

If you've taken a look at my Beijing photos on Flickr, you may have noticed some critters on a stick. These pics were taken at the night market close to our hotel. Sea horses, star fish, grass hoppers, scorpions, silk worms, animal hearts, livers, snakes -- all on a stick. And candied fruit too, for dessert. Not for me! And not for most. It seemed as if most of it was for show...  

No comments:

Post a Comment