Thursday, June 28, 2012

Lessons Learned (so far)

We're well into our second month here and I'm starting to compile a list of lessons learned living in Shanghai (reminds me of my working days and having to create a "Lessons Learned" PowerPoint after every event; funny, I don't miss those that much).  
  • First and foremost, pedestrians do NOT have the right-of-way. I learned this quickly. And you will too if you come to visit. Walk with confidence and give dirty looks when necessary.  
  • And speaking of traffic, honking is commonplace. Instead of "watch out", here it means, "FYI, I'm coming through," or "FYI, I'm behind you," or "FYI, I'm turning left." You get the idea.  
  • "Excuse me" doesn't exist; touching and bumping into strangers is perfectly acceptable. 
  • You don't really let passengers get off your subway train if you want to get on it.  
  • Locals hack up loogies and spit them out. When you hear that lovely sound (and you will hear it), steer clear. (By the way, picking your nose in public is no biggie either.)  
  • Carry tissues. Restaurants don't always provide napkins (and if they do, some charge for them!).  
  • Any Western anything (groceries, meals, clothes, shoes) is at least three times as expensive as its local counterpart. 
  • Yes, the pollution is that bad.  
This is a preliminary list as I'm sure there are more lessons to be learned.  

3 comments:

  1. You are so funny!!! Thanks making me laugh. Be safe and fearless! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny - most of these apply to India as well. Hope you're hanging in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So what you're saying is that we'll feel "at home" when we travel to India. It's on the list and I'll be coming to you for tips.

      Delete