Friday, June 1, 2012

On My Own

Mike started work this week, which means I've been left to my own devices.  On day one, I gave myself the challenge of going out and buying nail polish remover (crucial, I know). I loaded my backpack with my map, my guidebook, my Chinese phone and my iPhone (useless, really, but a security blanket), and off I went. You really need to psych yourself up to leave the comforts of the hotel where most people speak English and you're at a safe distance from speeding vehicles. But I accomplished my day's mission thanks to a little charades and a smile.  

Afterward, I ended up wandering around the French Concession, which will likely become our hood for the next two years. It's an area full of small, tree-lined streets (no less dangerous, by the way) with a bunch of shops and food spots. It'll be fun to explore.  

I played the extra tourist on day two and spent a few hours in the Shanghai museum.  Some pics below.



No comments:

Post a Comment