Monday, June 11, 2012

Boarding the Mothership

In our two (or so) weeks here, Mike and I have had some strange experiences. One that will have to make our top ten list is our medical examination, required for expats planning to stay in China for more than one year. I wasn't thrilled about having to be examined in foreign country, by doctors I didn't know, speaking a language I didn't understand. I rarely go to the doctor's in the States and now I'm going in China?!     

I put on my big girl pants and went with Mike to our appointment. From the waiting room, I caught glimpses of other expats, donned in white gowns, walking in and out of various rooms, some holding their arms...  in terrible pain, I imagined dramatically. 

Once the appointment got under way, we were ushered to a changing room where we had to ditch our tops and put on those same dreaded white gowns. I felt as if Earth had recently been invaded and these fellow expats and I had been abducted and forced to wear some horrid uniform before boarding the mothership. Can you sense my terrible discomfort? I hadn't even visited a room yet! 

First up was an x-ray, then an ultrasound. In a third room, a doctor took my blood pressure, then I had an EKG. Finally, my eyes were examined and my blood drawn (remember the arms held up "in pain"?). It took all of 20 minutes. I survived. And all in all, it wasn't that bad, but it was an experience.  
Best imagery I could come up with to visually illustrate our required medical examination (minus the secret handshake);
From the movie, "Sound of My Voice," directed by a fellow gtowner, the plot of which has nothing to do with my current situation.

1 comment:

  1. What a fascinating experience! I'm glad it turned out to be not so bad : )

    ReplyDelete