Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Vacation's over

On my walk to school this morning (yes, I can walk to school from our new place!), I had a freak-out moment. This extended vacation -- during which I sometimes felt like Eloise (even though I was at the Ascott in Shanghai instead of the Plaza in New York City) -- is over. I live in China now. Permanently. Or at least for the foreseeable future. My place of residence, my "home" is in Shanghai. When people ask me where I live, I'll have to tell them, "Shanghai, China." Madness. 

And then I walked by the Jing'an Temple; I took a deep breath, and felt a sense of awe and calm. I live in China! The feeling was very similar to how I felt in San Francisco every time I laid eyes on the Golden Gate Bridge. I used to say (sometimes aloud), "I live in SF!" The view never got old, just like walking by the Jing'an Temple every day on my way to class will likely never get old.  

Some of you have requested pics of our place, but I think I'll wait until we get our shipment from the States to take some (it's due to arrive on the fourth of July; fitting, no?). Right now, the apartment doesn't look much different from a hotel room filled with bland furniture and ugly lamps.
In case you don't know, this is Eloise. She is six. She is a city child. She lives at the Plaza.

No comments:

Post a Comment