Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Happy Halloween!

I hate Halloween. You'd think that I wouldn't given the enthusiastic headline for today, but I do and I have since childhood. It all started here:
You can blame my mother; the bee was her idea. Can't you just sense my discomfort? Can't you see that I'm smiling awkwardly through the pain? We laugh now whenever we see this photo and recount Halloweens of the past. 

You wouldn't really know it's Halloween here in China -- no carved pumpkins, no spooky decorations on houses or in buildings, no one in costume. But the locals don't miss an opportunity to cash in on a holiday (any holiday). Candy is on sale at several markets, and bars are throwing parties tonight in hopes of attracting the expat population. 
And that is the other reason why I hate Halloween -- "its pure slutty and deviant essence." Call me a party pooper, call me what you will. Sorry to disappoint, but this expat won't be attending "In Lust We Trust."  

What I do like about the holiday... 1) babies in costume, especially when they don't know any better (points for chubbiness); and 2) costumes that are creative and intelligent (points for home-made craftiness).  

No comments:

Post a Comment