Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Tuesday Night Rides

When we first got our bikes, I mentioned that Mike had gone on a couple of rides with a local bike shop that organizes group outings every Tuesday night. Having gone on a few practice rides, I joined the cool kids last week on my first-ever night and group ride. I say "cool kids" because most participants were young, hip foreigners seemingly embedded in the world of fixies (or, fixed-gear bicycles). I was just a mere visitor.    

At about 9:00 p.m., 30 of us set out on our velos, weaving in and out of traffic, ignoring the flashing headlights and constant honking, finding safety in numbers. Remember -- my previous bike-riding experience was limited to rides on the Santa Monica bike path and throughout the small city of Strasbourg. I equated bike rides to casual strolls in wide, open spaces. This was not that. But it was a challenge and it was fun! The pace was certainly faster and the distance, longer. If we had to guess, we'd say the ride last Tuesday was about 35 kilometers, getting to the meeting point in People's Square, then to the ferry that took us across the river, in and around Pudong, and back home. 

And tonight, we ride again.  

No comments:

Post a Comment