Thursday, June 26, 2014

The Final Interview

You may remember that I asked a few of our visitors to answer some questions after returning home from their trip to China (my mom, Kira and David, and Hanni). I thought it fitting to include one last interview with Mike, my fellow long-term "visitor."

What will you take away from this experience?
A puppy, two bicycles, and a giant terracotta soldier. Yes, I am a child.

What’s your fondest memory from the last two years? 
Being able to travel to so many great countries and amazing places within a two- to three-hour flight. Snowboarding in Japan and diving in the Maldives were incredible. But getting Shima is a pretty fond memory.

If you had to do it all over, what would you do differently?
I can't think of anything, actually. We did pretty well the last two years.

What were your best and worst culinary experiences?
There are just too many to count: discovering fried soup dumplings and creppuritosany meal in Japan; having crawfish étouffée made by Austin Hu from Madison in the middle of rice fields after riding with the bike crew for more than 50 miles to Chongming Island [he's talking about this experience]. Sadly, the worst experience might be in Vietnam where we could not find a great grilled pork banh mi, even after five sandwiches in a one-hour period... more disappointing though than "the worst."

Some people say that you never feel more American than when you live abroad. Would you agree? 
I would. I claim Fresno pretty hard, but since no one really knows where that is here, I was claiming the USA. I purchased my first full-size American flag after moving here (from and made in the U.S., of course), and I have also found myself increasingly looking for American-made products (from companies like Filson and Phil Wood, for example).

Do you think your experience as a Chinese-American was any different from, say, mine?
Speaking Chinese made a huge difference, but it was also difficult because I'm illiterate (I can't read or write Chinese characters). People assume that I'm able to read signs and menus, and everyone also thinks I look and speak funny.

What will be your last meal in Shanghai and your first meal back in SF?
We'll probably eat soup dumplings the night before we leave, and maybe grab a creppurito on the way to the airport. In San Francisco, I'll probably have to grab a burrito or In-N-Out as our first meal back, although given the timing and the location of our temporary place, maybe Brenda's French Soul Food.

What are you looking forward to the most about being back home? 
Fresh air, friends, and snowboarding more. Or, snowboarding with friends in fresh air!

What will you miss?
Our friends here and tuesday night bike rides (400+ people on my last one!).

Would you do it again?
As long as my wonderful wife and dog are down for more adventures... f*ck yeah!

I'm down! Paris'dLex has a good ring to it, don't you think? But home first. 

3 comments:

  1. Such wonderful memories. But can't wait to have you both back here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing blog and really exciting stuff you got right here! I clearly discovered loads from reading through a number of your earlier posts as well and determined to drop a touch upon this one!

    ReplyDelete