Tuesday, July 31, 2012

A Visit to Wedding Row

As the countdown to wedding day begins (we're now less than eight weeks away!), I'm trying to take care of the last remaining items, which include the purchase of a veil. Luckily for me, one of my very lovely classmates is in the German wedding industry and works with dress suppliers here in China. Today, after class, she took me to "wedding row", located in a particular section of a major subway stop. There, we found dozens of shops catering to future brides, filled with gowns and shoes and favors for guests. Most of it wasn't my style (think: big, embroidered and pouffy, lined with crystals), but it was fun to "kan yixiar" (just look; pronounced, "kan yisha"). Although I managed to communicate slightly better than a one-year-old, most places didn't have the simplicity I was looking for in a veil, and the quality was questionable. 

In case you're curious about price, the one and only veil I was considering came to about $13, to which I replied, "tai gui le" (too expensive; pronounced, "tie gway le"). I had actually misunderstood 800RMB for 80RMB (8 and hundred sound very similar!). She came down to $8, but we left, mostly because the quality seemed shoddy. Thankfully, Ayla will ask her supplier to make the veil I have in mind, and I won't be paying much more than $8.

Side story: On the subway ride home, we were approached by a very friendly Chinese girl who wanted to practice her English with us. She first asked if we were French (as a francophile, she won me over right there and then). She then proceeded to tell me I had beautiful eyes and beautiful, dark eyebrows. Way to make my day! Compliments aside, it was the friendliest encounter I've had with a local thus far.   

No comments:

Post a Comment