Thursday, July 26, 2012

Shanghai Summer Fashion

I've been wanting to write a fashion entry since our arrival in Shanghai, but it's hard capturing trends incognito.  I'm not at the point (yet!) where I can stop people on the streets and tell them that their photo will be featured on a popular American blog.  Instead, I've resorted to taking pictures with my iPhone while walking to class or having lunch, remaining inconspicuous.  

The number one trend we've seen among Shanghai's young and hip is glasses without lenses. This trendsetter matches her eyewear to her top.
Chinglish isn't contained to street signs and restaurant menus; some of the best and most incomprehensible phrases are on t-shirts. (The one below reads, "Only you care when.") 
The sandals and flip flops are great here. It seems as if the bigger the bow, the better. See above and below. Don't the ones below remind you of Minnie Mouse?   
Along with lens-free glasses, the bib is another must-have accessory this summer, making an appearance below in a Miu Miu storefront. 
Short, nude stockings are all over Shanghai, worn by young and old, with open-toed shoes and capris or skirts. (I myself will be skipping this trend; if anything, I'll settle for glasses without lenses before rocking nude stockings.)  


No comments:

Post a Comment