Friday, July 27, 2012

Have a zhoumo kuaile

Can you guess what a "zhoumo kaile" is yet?

Mike and I are heading to Ikea on Saturday (thanks to Bob, of course). We need things like baking sheets and a utensil organizer; ours are too big for our Chinese oven and kitchen drawers. (Everything is bigger in America!) 

Apparently, going to Ikea is an adventure. Not only is it crazy crowded (on weekends especially), but in China, it's more than just somewhere to buy household goods and furniture -- it's an experience. We've heard that Chinese families go on "Ikea outings": mom, dad, the kids, and even grandma and gramps head over with packed lunches and picnic in Ikea kitchens, socialize in Ikea living rooms, and lounge on Ikea couches. To be honest, I'm more excited about witnessing this phenomenon than purchasing kitchenware. 

In other news, I've been a bit of mess this week with a rash on my upper lip and nose and a swollen left eye. There are probably several factors at play, but I think allergies to the heat and the air pollution are the root causes. Not wanting to suffer through the weekend, I went to a clinic today, one we visited during our orientation tour. Nothing like the required medical examination, my doctor's appointment was just like one I'd have in the States (weight, body temperature, and blood pressure check before going in to see the doctor). The doctor who saw me was a kind and gentle Asian Australian man who could tell right away I had conjunctivitis. He prescribed a nose spray and an antihistamine, and I was on my way. Can you tell my eye is all puffy?
  

2 comments:

  1. Ah you poor little thing! That's not good. Plenty of TLC from Mike is in order, and not sure if IKEA is the best place for you though? I am too scared to go to that place, the queues alone freak me out, and over here, you have to follow the path they set out in the store which is mad, as it ultimately means you have to go through the whole store, to potentially only pick up one thing!
    So good luck, will be dying to hear how you get on, oh and FYI, LOVE your fashion blog, can we please have more of them and the stalking photo's, Brilliant!
    Emx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Em! An Ikea review and more fashion/stalking pics to come!

      Delete