Monday, July 2, 2012

Summer in Shanghai

One lesson I forgot to list is, "go back to where you came from in the summer." Apparently, expats flee Shanghai come July and August due to the heat, which is suffocating on its own, but made worse by the number of cars and people in this city (not to mention the pollution). Families split up; wives (in many cases) take their kids (in some cases) back to Europe and the States to wait out Shanghai's summer months. A few businesses even close, and organizations like the American Women's Club cease their activities.  

I'm not sure I could just abandon Mike here, even though stepping foot outside is stepping into an oven -- a stifling 95 degrees today with 45 percent humidity. Don't get me wrong, I love heat, but I love dry heat, especially the kind that includes the occasional ocean breeze. I've been spoiled, what can I say? Extreme heat and humidity just aren't my thing.  

I suppose I shouldn't be complaining with many of my friends and family on the East Coast suffering from their own record temperatures, severe thunderstorms, and power outages. Be safe and cool out there! 

3 comments:

  1. the wang in the goubranwang.blogspot.comJuly 2, 2012 at 5:11 PM

    it feels so much worse than 95 degrees and 45% humidity....let it snow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like our Houston summers to me...sans some of the pollution. But at the end of the summer you'll have the party to end all parties...can't wait for The Wedding!!

    ReplyDelete